08 February 2011

Don't Invest in People For a Return

Life is a journey of learning lessons and healing from past mistakes.  God has been doing a work in me for a while now, but at times it never seems done.  At times, I have struggled with having unrealistic expectations on people.  For instance, when I care for someone or their family, I do so deeply.  I makes sure I am available to serve in anyway I can.  If a person I care about has kids I will embrace them with deep love.  I enjoy serving and being hospitable to people. 

 
That said, I think oftentimes, I am doing it for the wrong reasons.  I am investing in them expecting them to return the same caring spirit.  So in essence I am expecting them to be me, when I should be giving without needing anything in return.  This concept is so hard for me because I too have feelings and want people to reach back, but that is not Christ-like.  Jesus spent His days pouring into people and at the end of his life He had no one.  If that wasn’t bad enough, He was nailed to a cross for his love.

 
Noah and I went to breakfast the other day with friends that we met in the states that were moving to Cape Town a month before us.  I was sharing some of my story and hurts and the husband (Dave) looked at me and said I have a word for you: 

 
“God does not want you to invest yourself in anyone because investors except profit on their investments.  This results in emotional drain when we don’t get it.  He wants you to spend yourself on others with no expectation of return.”

 This word has messed with Noah and my head since we heard it.  He is so right and if I truly love loving people, then I need to let go of my expectations.  Why has it taken me so long to get here?  I am thanking God everyday for bringing people into my life that are helping me change and grow to be more like Jesus and less like Tricia.

No comments: