27 August 2009

We Need More of Him!!!!


Yesterday I was part of the best staff meeting I have ever been in. God really met us there and brought our hearts to the same place. I am still in awe of the experience! I really can't talk about what was shared but I can say one thing that we kept coming back to....PRAYER, SEEKING HIS WORD, and FASTING.

We spent time in prayer, thanksgiving, and time of silence before the Lord. When it got quiet and I closed my eyes, this is what I heard,"Tricia remember when your dad called your whole family to a fast?" I haven't thought about that since high school. I began to share with the staff the time in high school that my dad called the "Rivera" household to a time of fasting. We weren't allowed to eat from sun down on Saturday until after church on Sundays. I remember filling hungry and not really understanding why I had to give up food. At times I would complain to my dad. My dad would just say, "Sweetie when you feel hungry that is when I need you to pray. Pray for New Life (our church) and for lost souls." What in the world did that mean for a teenager? I was hungry and I didn't feel like praying for anything and anyone. I continued to be obedient but I do not remember praying a lot. The one thing I do remember is how much my parents prayed and how many times I found my dad and mom face down crying out to God.

It has been a long time since those days. Yesterday I finally understood why our family did it and how I wish I could go back and do it with the right heart. God is calling His people to draw nearer to Him. We need to be willing to sacrifice our comfort for Him. There are lost and hurting people who need the touch of the Almighty God.

When is the last time you read your Bible?
When is the last time you prayed?

When is the last time your face hit the carpet?

When is the last time you cried out to God for Him to do a mighty work in your life/family/community?

2 comments:

Noah said...

AAAAAAAAMEN!!!!

Awesome word. So thrilled with what the Lord is doing in us all.

Tanya said...

I remember....