19 July 2009

How Do You Hear From God???

I love to read and I have many authors that I love, but my favorite one is Sheila Walsh. She is one of the Women of Faith speakers and I look forward to hearing her speak every year. Each year I look forward to reading her new book. I love how real and open she is in her books and as a women, I can relate to her.

I really learned a lot from her last year's book: Get Off You Knees and Pray


Here are some things that I took away from reading this book:
  • God wants to hear from you!
  • He doesn't care how well you pray; just talk to him.
  • It is important to pray for your husband and your children EVERYDAY.
  • When you are angry with someone, pray for them and also pray God will change your heart.
  • He doesn't answer other people's prayer because He likes them better.
  • He wants you to lay your burdens down so He can carry us through
  • Mostly, you are never alone!!!
One chapter really stuck out to me: "How do I know I heard God's voice"

What a good question!! Many times I sit and wonder the same thing. Am I really hearing God's voice or how can I hear His voice clearly? Sheila gave three simply ways to hear God's voice.

Read His word:
  • He didn't write it for it to sit on a shelf (I can be so guilty of this)!
  • He tells us how we should live in His word.
Prayer:
  • If we pray and keep the line of conversation open, we will be open to the whispers we may hear.
Get GODLY counsel
  • Not every Christian is the right person you should get counsel from.
  • They should be more spiritually mature then you.
  • You should be able to trust them to keep things confidential.
  • They should be for "you" ( giving you truth in love) and not out for their own agenda.
This really got me thinking about how I think I may hear from God. I need to do more praying and reading his word and less listening to other people, especially if it is not Godly counsel. This journey is not an easy one and I am constantly needing to learn and change directions!!!

"Get off Your Knees and Pray" By Sheila Walsh is a must read. If you live near Bowie I would be happy to lend you my copy!!

No comments: